Saturday, April 30, 2011

Relationships, Dreams, Burritos, You & Me

I am finally back in Chicago after my slightly misguided plan which sent me in search of the Doritos Locos Taco in Toledo. I finally feel back to my roots in Chicago, which I call Burrito Capitol USA (Rahm Emmanuel take note, the city should be re-named). I am back to my old ways of taking to the burrito, not tacos, and local stands, not chains. This being a the eve of Burrito Appreciation Month, today is a day of deep reflection.

When I think about my relationship with burritos, I need to think of it in terms of how I evaluate all of my other relationships. Some of the most important things are the trials and tribulations you’ve been through, how you’ve helped each other to a higher ground, and your feelings towards each other on a daily basis. While most of the details of my relationship with the burrito are too intimate to share on a publicly read web-site, I would like to take this opportunity to make a bold statement. There was a time in my life when my Cholesterol was high, and there were not many burritos in my diet. Since I now eat many more burritos and have much lower cholesterol, I would like to thank the burrito in part (along with albeit some other not so minor lifestyle changes) for helping me to lower my cholesterol. The American Heart Association may not give you the healthy heart endorsement, but rest assumed this burrito fan does.

With Burrito Appreciation Month starting on Sunday, I will be fasting from burritos until then and have no burrito shop visits to tell you about. With that said, I would like to leave you with an excerpt from a dream I had last night:

“I dreamed it was the month or May. The wonderful spring air swilled across my face, and the smell of the waking world lightened my senses. I was looking up when all of the sudden the stars in the sky were eclipsed by an ether filled with burritos. It was as if the Milky Way had been engulfed in a cloud of burrito bliss. I lowered my vantage point off onto the horizon where I saw beautiful, benign volcanoes spontaneously erupting, emitting a hot red liquid; salsa, spewing from the core of the earth the flavor the heavens and the universe above. As I looked down at my feet, and the lush, green pasteur instantly liquefied into a sea of salsa verde. Due to the specific gravity of the salsa verde, my only way out was for me to drink the entire sea, one delicious drop at a time. As I drank and drank, by body expanded into the shape of the sea, but with each expansion there was no pain, only greater comfort. Once I consumed the entire sea, I burst, and was magically reincarnated into a million tiny burritos pieces, floating away from what was previously my earthly remains. I floated carefree across the universe and into the hands of my creator. When I felt the gentle caress of my creator, I said with my tiny burrito lips “Burritophile is that you” and it responded…..(Alarm – beep – beep – beep - beep).

Isn’t it strange how all dreams end right before the best part of the dream happens?

No comments: