Monday, April 11, 2011

Warm Up #9 - Superburrito Es Muy Bueno!


If you have been paying attention (and I’m guessing most of you have been reading our site daily and have been deeply tuned in), I am skipping a few warm-ups on the blog. There are two main reasons. First of all, it gets boring to continue writing about practice. Secondly, the Burritophile is back on the loose and I want to keep a low profile so he can’t find me. I have heard rumors that during his incarceration, the Burritophile has taken a turn to the dark side. While I am not worried about my own personal safety, I am very worried about the safety of my burritos. I have heard he has started doing very vile things to them (picture the American Pie movie, but substitute the cherry pie with a burrito). While I have no way of confirming whether these rumors are true, I have notified PETB (People for the ethical treatment of burritos) and I am sure they will have a nice long talk with him.

For my warm-up #9, I went to La Pasidita (1141 N. Ashland, Ukrainian Village). This place has a bit of a bizarre set-up as at one site they have three different locations (The previous sentence is likely as confusing as their set-up). There are two La Pasidita locations right next to each other on the west side of Ashland, and a third right across the street on the east side (not to be confused with a 4th, La Pasada, which is in the same block just south of La Pasadita on the west side of Ashland). I have provided the address they give on their web-site, and could not even tell you the address of the one I actually procured my burrito. The other peculiar item about this restaurant is the hours. They close at 3AM on Saturdays, which is the exact time that the non-late night bars close in Chicago. Fortunately for me, I got in there a little before 3, so I was OK (though I was told I had to take my burrito to go…not sure if that is related to the 3AM closing or the fact that they didn’t like me). Anyways, there were literally droves of people (no exaggeration at least 50 people) that they ended up turning away. This is the sign of a great burrito and a poorly executed business plan.

I ordered the Carne Asada Super Burrito. At first I thought it egotistical and maybe even a bit eccentric to name something the “Super Burrito”. After all, aren’t all burritos super in nature? What was so special about this one? I quit my moronic rant after I took my first bite into the burrito. Holy sh*t, this thing was awesome! Carne Asada, cheese, beans, cilantro, sour cream, and guac all placed in a wonderful burrito shell. At $8.50, this was a bit pricey, but it was worth every penny (especially since I didn't pay anything, it was bought for me), and the portion was huge. I was unable to finish my burrito Saturday night but it passed the test of time and still tasted great when I enjoyed the remainder of the burrito on Sunday. Easily 9 out of 10, well deserved! If they can consolidate into 1 location and stay open past 3, they have a chance in the Chicago Burrito Bowl championship! Bueno!


Until Next Time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled upon this blog. Can you guys do a review on the chain burritos? Del Taco, Juan's, Chipulte, etc.

BurritoPhile said...

Anonymous Stumbler,
Thanks for stopping by! We have reviewed Chipotle at least one other time. Read about it Here.

While we typically review local joints, if the only burrito we can get is from a chain then its a chain burrito we will eat.

Jessie said...

you're welcome for the burrito in the above blog! although i still don't like that place, RUDE!