Saturday, April 9, 2011

Warm-up #4 - El Burrito Mexicano

Friends of burritos,
Well God bless early release for good behavior. I'm out on the streets and ready to stalk....some burritos! As is my custom, whenever I am let out of jail (regardless of which state I happen to be incarcerated) I head back to Chicago and eat a burrito. It's a long standing tradition in my family going all the way back to my great grandfather, Ed Burritophile. He did a three year stretch at San Quentin for murdering a man during a game of backgammon (it was self defense) and upon release he hitchhiked all the way to Chicago and ate a burrito. They were called meat wrapped dough pies in those days of course and were usually purchased out of the back of a flat bed truck. He soon after died of dysentery but not before visiting my great grandmother at her brothel. Anyway, back to present day....

I went to watch the Cubs play the Diamondbacks at Wrigley Field last Wednesday. The Cubs lost. I like it when the Cubs lose because they are anti-burrito. Don't ask me how I know that. Let's just say I have some inside sources that have heard the Ricketts family talk disparagingly about burritos. Can't we all just get along? So after reveling in a Diamondbacks victory I waddled over to a burrito purveyor on Addison right next to the Red Line. El Burrito Mexicano is a nondescript place but they serve one heckuva a burrito. I got mine with steak, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onion. At least I think that's what I ordered. I was really drunk. One of my other traditions after leaving jail is to get really hammered (another one passed down from Great Grandpa Ed. This probably explains why he ended up with my great grandmother. I've seen pictures. Yikes!) so I may have ordered a taquito for all I know.  But I'm pretty sure I ordered a burrito based on my burps later on that night. Considering the burps were all delicious, the burrito must have been as well. And as all burrito aficionados know, burrito burps are like "legs" on a glass of wine. So based on my burps, I must give this burrito an 8. Perhaps I will go back when sober and see if this is really the case but for now I trust my tummy gas.

Until next time....

Burritophile

No comments: