Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Warm-up #3 - Fiesta Mexicana


For my third warm-up, I went to Fiesta Mexicana (4806 N. Broadway, Uptown). I gotta be honest, this place has a lot of pastel. The pastel décor is a little overwhelming and very distracting. It is a hue of pastel that I do not believe really exists in Mexico. It is almost as if the decorator was asked to decorate the place how he or she thought Mexico might appear, without ever having really been to there. I am a man of substance over appearance, taste over aesthetics, but sometimes an overrunning of the senses occurs. While I was not undergoing a psychedelic blending of the senses where you can hear a taste or see a sound, the sight of pastel did distract from the overall taste and enjoyment of my burrito.

The burrito itself was definitely above average. I felt like I just returned to a venue of major league burritos. In observation of a lent Friday, I ordered a carne asada burrito. Good meat, solid toppings, and they made the burrito as they saw fit, so the customer is not responsible for walking the maker topping by topping through what they would like on their burrito. If I was ordering to go, I could probably give this a 7.5, but due to the decoration of the place, the dine-in experience gets a 6.5. Someday, maybe if they fire the Easter bunny and find a true Mexican decorator, this place can improve.


Until next time…..

2 comments:

BurritoPhile said...

Terrific write up, Tomas! Although I need to let you know that NASSA actually stands for North American Society for Studying Anuses. NASA is the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. Given the gastronomic nature of our blog though, I actually think NASSA works better. Well done!

NASSA said...

The Anus really is the last frontier in space. Thanks for the clarification, I would not want folks to confuse NASA and NASSA. We will be getting you an answer shortly.